Tuesday, November 20, 2012

each day...

each day i fall deeper and deeper into knowing and loving sweet maeve.  sometimes it's when her head bobs around like a bird looking for food.  sometimes it is when she is wailing, her arms flying above her head, as i change her diaper.  sometimes it is when i smell her smell and rub my chin across her head.  sometimes it is when she looks up with her big grey eyes and just stares at me.  sometimes it is three in the morning and we've been up and feeding for hours and i realize that i bring her so much comfort...that i am the place where she feels safe and warm and loved.

each day i begin to feel less and less foreign as a mother.  it's been the hardest 15 days of my life.  but when i step back i am in awe of what i did...growing and nourishing her and birthing her...and now comes loving her and being open to figuring out who she is.  this is a wild and wonderful and challenging ride!

photo by christina wnek

3 comments:

  1. Just last night Ryan said, "I can't believe how different having kids is from not having kids"... I think he was referring to how we used to just sit around and play scrabble all the time...that said, we wouldn't change this 'new' life for anything, as challenging as it can be.

    p.s. I love how what you said about how you are the person that brings Maeve so much comfort...so true, and good for me to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. i'm so jealous christina is your personal photographer...she's amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, from the days you spent helping Katie and me welcome the creation of our own family, I was never worried about you, Oak and parenthood.
    Enjoy the days!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails